Medieval fortification – castle of Bac is located in the eponymous town in Backa, in the northwest of Serbia. Bac is the most significant and the best preserved medieval fortification in Vojvodina. The fortification was built on a small hill above town, on an island between Mostonga river (now dry) and one of its inlets.
In historical records, Bac is mentioned for the first time in the beginning of 14th century as Hungarian Royal city. The fortification, or castle, was built in between 1338 and 1342 during the rule of Hungarian king Robert Anzujski, but its final shaped Bac received in 15th century. Archbishop Petrus de Varda enlarged and embellished the city, and deepened Mostonga river so that ships from the Danube could sail into Bac. During the reconstruction of Bac at the end of 15th century, wide cannon openings were made in both south towers and also in the southeast tower. Turks took over the fortress 1529, shortly after Mohac battle, and after the Rakotzy rebellion 1703-1710, the fortification was burnt, demolished and abandoned.
Fortification’s foundations are trapezoid-shaped and the fortress is entirely made of bricks. High, well preserved main tower, can be seen in the southeastern part of the castle yard. The tower is in non-conventional place and represents one of the best examples of late medieval Donjon style in this part of Europe.
Site name and location: Fortress and lower ramparts in Bač, Bač Municipality, Serbia
Monument type: Cultural monument of exceptional importance
Property of:Republic of Serbia
Under responsibility of: Regional Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments in Novi Sad
Institution in charge of: Bač Municipality
Trg dr Zorana Djindjića 2, 21420 Bač
Tel: +381(0)21 77 00 75
Fax: +381(0)21 77 03 50