The remains of Borac castle lie on top of a rocky hill 10 km northwest of Knic. Exact date when castle was built is unknown.
The castle was first mentioned in the records from 1389, together with the fortifications taken over by the Hungarian army after the Kosovo Battle. Despot Stefan Lazarevic 1405 in Borac promulgated a Charter to the people of Dubrovnik. In that period, it was one of the most significant fortifications in the dominion. After the fall of Belgrade and Golubac, whilst building Smederevo, despot Djuradj Brankovic also additionally fortified Borac castle. In 1438, the fortress was conquered and destroyed by sultan Murat II.
The walls are incorporated and blent with the rocks, which serve as a natural protection. Fortress was concisted of the Big Town, located northeast and the Small Town, located southwest. In present day, the only thing that remains of the fortress are the ruins of the bulwarks, remains of some buildings and towers with irregular bases – three of them on the outside of the Big Town and one on the bulwark separating the Small from the Big Town.
Site name and location: Medieval town of Borač, Knić Municipality, Serbia
Monument type: Cultural monument of special importance
Property of: Republic of Serbia
Under responsibility of: Kragujevac Institute for Protection of Cultural monuments
Institution in charge of: Knić Municipality, 34240 Knić
Tel: +381(0)34 510 113
Fax: +381(0)34 510 113