Golubac fortress has been erected on high, steep and rocky cliffs about 4 km downstream from the namesake town, on the left bank of Danube and at the entrance to the Djerdap gorge.
It was built in the beginning of 14th century as a border stronghold of strategic importance. It is mentioned for the first time in historic sources dating back to 1335, and had a Hungarian garrison. It belonged to Serbs in the first decades of 15th century. After the death of despot Stefan in 1427, Golubac should have gone back to Hungary, but fell into Turkish hands. Turks stay until 1444 when it passes under the rule of despot Djuradj Brankovic. Turks captured the fortress again in 1458 and hold it in their hands, not counting short interruptions, until the beginning of 19th century.
The Fortress had nine high square towers on advanced strategic sites, connected by a jagged path. In the 30s of the 20th century the fortress was pierced making room for the major regional road to pass through it. And it was done without any proper documentation. Construction of Djerdap hydroelectric dam made Danube watercourse to rise and flood lower parts of the fort.
Site name and location: Golubac Fortress, Golubac Municipality, Serbia
Monument type: Cultural monument of exceptional importance
Property of: Republic of Serbia
Under responsibility of: Regional Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments in Smederevo
Institution in charge of: Golubac Municipality
Cara Lazara 15, 12223 Golubac
Tel: +381(0)12 78 128
Fax: +381(0)12 78 103