Kladovo - Fetislam
The fortification is situated several kilometres upstream from Kladovo on the bank of river Danube. With the erection of Fetislam the Turkish defense line towards Hungary was completed and this line was made of fortresses in Smederevo, Kulic, Ram, Golubac and Fetislam. The last one was composed from two parts: the Smaller and the Greater town.
The Smaller town was erected around 1524 as a starting point of Turkish assaults on Erdelj. During the Austro-Turkish conflicts from 1717 to 1739 the Smaller Town acquires strategic importance, thus the Greater Town is erected around it. Later around 1818 the dirt-built ramparts are topped with curtain walls. After the last reconstruction Fetislam is turned into a artilery bastion. The whole complex of this fortress was surrounded with a still visible deep and wide trench, which used to be filled with water from a Danube’s branch.
The Turkish garrison stayed up to 1867 when together with six other fortified towns was handes over to the Serbian prince Mihajlo.
Site name and location: Fetislam Fortress, Kladovo Municipality, Serbia
Monument type: Cultural monument of special importance
Propery of: Republic of Serbia
Under responsibility of: Niš Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments
Institution in charge: Kladovo Municipality
Kralja Aleksandra 35, 19320 Kladovo
Tel: +381 (0)19 801 450
Fax: +381 (0)19 801 563