Manasija Monastery fortress
Manasija monastery fortress is 3 km east of the town of Despotovac.
It was built by despot Stefan Lazarevic from 1407 to 1418 in order to protect his memorial and monastery complex. It has been erected following strict rules of medieval fortifications, and on an unhospitable site, and represents the most monumental and best preserved example of military architecture of its times in the Morava region of Serbia. Konstantin the Philosofer mentions it in detail. Turks seized the place in 1458.
The fortress has a polygonal base with symmetrically erected towers, that were built at the same time as the bulwarks. During the erection of the fortification complex bulwarks and towers received superstructures thus reaching monumental dimensions and mashicules in the highest zone. In front of the whole complex was a lower defense rampart with a deep ditch, thus together with the main bulwark making a double system of defense.
Site name and location: Manasija monastery, Despotovac Municipality, Serbia
Monument type: Cultural monument of exceptional importance
Property of: Republic of Serbia
Under responsibility of: Kragujevac Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments
Insttution in charge: Despotovac Municipality
Mose Pijade 2, 35213 Despotovac
Tel: + 381(0)35 611 002
Fax: +381(0)35 611 008