Novo Brdo is 35 km north of Gnjilane in Kosovo, situated on Mala Planina (Little Mountain) between Prilepnica and Kriva river.
It was built during the beginning of king Milutin’s rule (1282-1321), in an area rich in silver, gold and lead ore deposits. From the middle of the 14th century this is the most important mining region in Serbia, and reaches its peak in the times of despod Djuradj (1427-1456) when Novo Brdo mines brought 200.000 golden ducats annualy. From 1349 it is also known for its mint.
In the 15th century Novo Brdo mines were famous for their silver production that had up to one third of gold. Already in 1326 Novo Brdo is mentioned as a well known mining and commercial center, with commerce and customs in hands of citizens of the Republic of Dubrovnik. It became one of the renowned settlements of Sasi – the well- known German miners.
After a long siege it falls temporarily in Turkish hands in 1441, to be finally captured in 1455. In 17th century the mint works as the coinage for sultan Murat IV (1623-1640).
Site name and location: Midieval town of Novo Brdo, Novo Brdo Municipality, Gnjilane, Kosovo and Metohija, Serbia
Monument type: Cultural monument of exceptional importance
Property of: Republic of Serbia
Under resposibility of: Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments of the Republic of Serbia