Petrovaradin Fortress is situated within modern areal of Novi Sad city, on a small hill, on the right riverbank of Danube.
In the first half of 13th century, Hungarian king Bela (1235-1270) gave permission for a Cistercian monastery to be built on this location. The monastery was named Belakut and was constructed on cross-shaped foundations. After the Tatar intrusion, the monastery was fortified with bulwark, which enclosed a rectangular area. Monastery fortification was particularly strengthened at the end of 15th century, as part of defense preparations against the Ottomans.
During their military campaign, advancing towards Mohac, the Ottomans conquered Petrovaradin in 1526. After the Ottomans were defeated at the gates of Vienna, Austrian army liberated Petrovaradin and started building new fortification.
Construction of new bastion artillery fortifications according to marshall Voban system began in 1690, when old medieval fortress was torn down and the present Upper Town was built in its stead. A significant number of buildings from that period has been preserved until present day within the Upper Town. With some interruptions, the constructions lasted for almost a century, but were intensified particularly after 1739, when the Ottomans again conquered Belgrade. Within the new fortifications, underground military galleries and 16 km communication channels have been built, which represent an interesting feature of this fortification today. After 1739, the Lower Town, below the eastern slope of the citadel, was widened and fortified with a pentagonal bulwark.
Petrovaradin fortifications are among the best accomplishments of military architecture of the other half of 18th century.
Site name and location: Petrovaradin Fortress, City of Novi Sad, Serbia
Monument type: Cultural monument of special importance
Property of: Republic of Serbia
Under responsibility of: Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments, City of Novi Sad
Institution in charge of: City of Novi Sad