Prokuplje - Hisar
The remains of medieval fortress are located above present-day Prokuplje, on Hisar hill, surrounded on three sides by Toplica river.
During 1970s and 1980s, various investigation and research indicated that this area was fortified either in the second half of 14th century or early 15th century, probably in the period from 1371 to 1389, as a defense from the Ottomans. Prokuplje was first temporarily occupied by the Ottomans in 1440, who eventually conquered it in 1454. Soon afterwards, they restored the conquered fortress, whereat Ottoman crew settled in, while the lower boroughs were inhabited by Ottoman common folks.
The fortress consists of a citadel with oval foundation, situated on the highest plateau, from where two concentric bulwarks descend forming two lower boroughs on accessible areas of the hillside. Jug Bogdan’s tower, which was an outpost, is best-preserved, located on Toplica riverbank. Presumably, it served to control crossing over the river, but also to ensure water-supply to the fortress.
Site name and location: Hisar Fortress, Prokuplje Municipality, Serbia
Monument type: Cultural monument of special importance
Property of: Republic of Serbia
Under responsibility of: Niš Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments
Institution in charge of: Prokuplje Municipality
Nikodija Stojanovića Tatka 2, 18400 Prokuplje
Tel: +381 (0)27 324 040
Fax: +381 (0)27 324 028