Ravanica Monastery fortress
The fortified Ravanica monastery is at the foot of Kucaj mountains, near Senja village, about 11 km from Cuprija.
It was built in 1376-1377 as a memorial of prince Lazar. It is first mentioned in sources dating from 1381. Falls in Turkish hands in 1458. During history the monastery complex was destroyed and burned several times, and today only parts of that complex remain and with some later constructions erected over the older ones.
The fort has an irregular circular base and seven towers, regularly placed, and connected by bulwarks. All indicates that first to be built were the church devoted to the Holy Resurrection and the main tower, while later, probably from 1381 to 1389, the whole complex was surrounded by a polygonal fortification and thus ultimanetly became a fortified monastery.
Site name and location: Ravanica monastery, Ćuprija Municipality, Serbia
Monument type: Cultural monument of exceptional importance
Property of: Republic of Serbia
Under responsibility of: Kragujevac Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments
Institution in charge of: Ćuprija Municipality
13. oktobra 7, Ćuprija
Tel: +381(0)35 470 248; 470 631
Fax: +381(0)35 473 512