The fortress is situated near present-day Sabac, on the right riverbank of Sava.
The fortress was built in 1471 by Isa Bey Ishakovic, but soon afterwards, in 1476, it was conquered by the Hungarian army helped by Serbian despot Vuk Grgurevic, who kept the fortress under their control for more than four decades. In 1521, on his campaign on the way to Belgrade, Suleiman the Magnificent conquered Sabac. As soon as he got hold of it, he had the earth palisade fortifications replaced with bulwark constructions with towers. In the period from 1717 until 1739, during temporary Austrian occupation, the fortress underwent significant adaptations and its surface was extended with additional construction of outer fortifications.
Originally, the fortress was made of wood with earth ramparts and trenches, on an artificial island. Subsequently, the fortress was mostly constructed in brick. It has symmetrical rectangular foundation, with one circular tower in each corner. Its construction is similar to the fortress in Kladovo, which indicates that both fortresses were built around the same time.
Site name and location: Šabac Town, Šabac Municipality, Serbia
Monument type: Cultural monument of special importance
Property of: Republic of Serbia
Under responsibility of: Valjevo Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments
Institution in charge of: Šabac Municipality
Gospodar Jevremova 6, 15000 Šabac
Tel: +381 (0)15 346 711, 364 100
Fax: +381 (0)15 346 800