Soko Grad (Falcon Town) is located 2 km east form Soko Banja, on a high rock in Moravica gorge. Town got its name because there were a lot of falconers there that paid their taxes in trained falcons.
The earliest mention of the town was in sources from 15th century in works of Konstantin Filozof. It is mentioned in year 1413 when it was under Turkish rule. In 1689 Austria and Serbia conquered the town together, and in late 18th century the town was temporarily ruled by Austria. In 1808 when the fortification wasn’t strategically significant anymore it was taken by Hajduk Veljko. After that the town was abandoned and fell to ruins.
In the middle of the fortification on the unreachable top was a citadel with dominant main tower. From there bulwarks were lowering toward Moravica, forming that way space of Lower town, that was built on more reachable ground.
Only the first entrance tower in Upper town is preserved and in good shape, while other towers and bulwarks are pretty much destroyed.
Site name and location: Town of Soko, Sokobanja Municipality, Serbia
Monument type: Monument of culture of special importance
Property of: Republic of Serbia
Under responsibility of: Niš Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments
Institution in charge of: Sokobanja Municipality
Svetog Save 23, 18230 Sokobanja
Tel: +381(0)18 830 173
Fax: +381(0)18 830 253