Remnants of the fort are on a rocky hilltop in the gorge of river Bistrica, 3 km southeast of Prizren.
It was probably built in 12th century so to control the road leading to Prizren valley. During the rule of Stefan Decanski it served as a refugium, and emperor Dusan fortified it with bulwarks that encompassed his memorial, the monastery of St. Archangels. In the second quarter of the 15th century, when Turks tore down the monastery, Visegrad itself probably had the same fate. Seem that it fell under Turkish rule at the same time when Prizren in 1455.
Visegrad was a hilltop citadel, while the monastery complex and two churches devoted to St. Archangels and St. Nicolas, lodgings and other structures were on the plateau at the river bank. The space between the citadel and the monastery was divided by two transversal bulwarks.
Site name and location: Medieval town of Višegrad, Prizren Minicipality, Kosovo and Metohija, Serbia
Monument type: Monument of culture
Property of: Republic of Serbia
Under responsibility of: Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments of the Republic of Serbia